Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Campers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 3:03pm
Just seen a load of them coming out of the field in Stoke Poges...so a group of them are on the move...."man the battlements!"
More NIMBYISM in Stoke Poges...
Sponsored Links

MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 3:11pm
Crumbs, I hope they dont come back to chalfont
ma0nps View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ma0nps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

For all our rants and moans, it is good to know that some folks locally still care about their village. We have to cope with regular invasions, from housing developers who chop down trees and destroy historic sites, railways that nobody wants but which scar our beautiful landscape, travellers who foul the commons and even from the growing numbers of London workers who treat the village as a dormitory but are otherwise indifferent to it and do not support local events or businesses.

See you out and about on our lovely commons and paths (but watch where you tread!).    

Not to go too off-topic, but this isn't the first post on here I've seen that has an anti "London workers" sentiment, and as one such worker who moved to the village in the last 12 months, I resent the generalisation. Many people move to the South East for work in London, but many of us who choose to live in towns and villages outside the city are doing so precisely because we DO value the community and local events of village life.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by ma0nps ma0nps wrote:

For all our rants and moans, it is good to know that some folks locally still care about their village. We have to cope with regular invasions, from housing developers who chop down trees and destroy historic sites, railways that nobody wants but which scar our beautiful landscape, travellers who foul the commons and even from the growing numbers of London workers who treat the village as a dormitory but are otherwise indifferent to it and do not support local events or businesses.

See you out and about on our lovely commons and paths (but watch where you tread!).    

Not to go too off-topic, but this isn't the first post on here I've seen that has an anti "London workers" sentiment, and as one such worker who moved to the village in the last 12 months, I resent the generalisation. Many people move to the South East for work in London, but many of us who choose to live in towns and villages outside the city are doing so precisely because we DO value the community and local events of village life.

I'll start a new thread so this one doesn't get hijacked because I think you raise a very important point.
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:36pm
Looks like we got off lightly compared to this poor lot...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/832095/Travellers-250-tonnes-rubbish-Blackbrook-Lane-eviction-Bromley

Too many laws...
Too few examples...
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 2:55pm
I think you have misunderstood my post. I, too, moved here quite some years ago as my work was in the London area. However I have never treated this village as a dormitory. I love and respect its rurality and I volunteer in the village and turn out to support the parish council and all the fetes and fundraisers. I join the army of post Feast Day rubbish clearers and I am a member of a number of village organisations. I'm surprised if the distinction between folks like me and those London workers who treat the place like a dormitory and take no interest in the village is unclear to you. If you are one of the latter people, however, then my comment applies and I make no apology for it.
ma0nps View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ma0nps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:04pm

I think you have misunderstood my post. I, too, moved here quite some years ago as my work was in the London area. However I have never treated this village as a dormitory. I love and respect its rurality and I volunteer in the village and turn out to support the parish council and all the fetes and fundraisers. I join the army of post Feast Day rubbish clearers and I am a member of a number of village organisations. I'm surprised if the distinction between folks like me and those London workers who treat the place like a dormitory and take no interest in the village is unclear to you. If you are one of the latter people, however, then my comment applies and I make no apology for it.

My point is that, right now, I probably am one of the latter as you describe it, because it's not actually that easy to quickly get to know people in a new area when broadly my life revolves around getting home in time to do bath and bedtime for my little boy. I have every intention to turn up to some volunteering things, such as helping put flags up/down when I can, but comments like yours make me less likely to do so as it comes across (and it's quite possibly just the medium of writing in plain text where I appreciate that emphasis and tone can get very lost) as though there's a perception that people newer to the village who work elsewhere are viewed as "outsiders"

It sounds like that wasn't your intent in this case, so I apologise if you think I've cast your comment in a bad light- not my intention at all- but equally, it wasn't the first post that's read that way to me with references to London-workers, from people other than yourself.

As a village we (and I really hope and want to be part of a "we" community here!) need to be careful not to be too quick to blame people that we perceive are in different groups to be to blame for problems. I grew up in a small market town in Cumbria where frankly pretty much everyone was born and bred and local, and there too, all of the community events were being propped up by a very small minority of dedicated residents, to whom the rest of the community were probably never adequately grateful. So I don't think being a popular village in commutable distance to London is the problem here!
GXCSP View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GXCSP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 6:48am
This is a really embarrassing read. Apparently if one doesn't volunteer to pick up some litter now and then, then they are just using their village as a hotel. Wow, never knew that before.
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 12:28pm
I think most people probably pick up litter now and again.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 2:30pm
So glad to hear this, Man0ps. And GXCSP, for those residents who never even venture into the village, it would be pretty hard to pick up litter, nor even to care. I daren't visit the common in case the travellers have left it in a mess. There are some sorts of litter I'd rather not have to clear up. Anyone had a look?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>