Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feast Day 2017 Lack of Evening Entertainment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalfontlad89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feast Day 2017 Lack of Evening Entertainment
    Posted: 26 April 2017 at 4:36pm
Does anyone else feel let down and slightly miffed that Feast day is once again not going to have a band on. Especially when they said last year it was only a temporary thing! 

I can see Feast days losing alot of business because of it as it was the reason the Majority of people turned upAngry
Sponsored Links

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:41am
'Business'? I take it that you are unaware that feast day is organised totally by a very small group of volunteers (I think only 5/6 people if that this year) purely to raise money for the local community? And that the reason the evening event was cancelled from 2016 was down to a huge amount of anti-social behaviour, parking issues and a massive lack of volunteers?

Edited by EmmaO - 27 April 2017 at 10:43am
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:45am
So no I don't feel in the least bit let down or miffed, I am very grateful to the people who organise it and wish that other people got involved so that they didn't have to do so much alone and then have people moan about their efforts.
Sunray View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:28am
Totally agree EmmaO, Feast Day has been brilliant year on year, the effort and dedication of a small number of people enabled it to happen, if more people had offered their help, and if there had not been the anti social behaviour it would still have the evening entertainment. "Let Down" certainly not, disappointed, yes, but I totally understand the reasons.  
Sunray
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:38am
totally  agree emma, 

the event is a victim of its own success sadly  !-  the large numbers of residents and visitors have moved this  feast day concert to a fairly major event, - 

and as has been clearly  stated its currently  run by volunteers, -  

the event is now getting to a size where it needs to be managed and ' staffed' - and most staff expect to be paid.....

the whole idea of the event is to raise funds for local charities and good causes and not to incur huge staff costs, 

the analogy of more hands make light work  may work here ! - if a few more  people were to ffer assistance then maybe  things would change, 

we have helped out  in previous years,  and also rattled buckets at the evening concert, we have also been there on the sunday morning picking up litter  too, 

if only more would help out  it may just happen again, if  those people who happily sit and drink all night  just take their rubbish home then the loyal band of volunteers may clean up the common in half the time...

its a shame that the event is not going ahead in the evening, but i totally understand why..

the added issue of antisocial behaviour, underage drinking  which led to hospitalisation for some also casts a cloud over the event too, add health and safety concerns, public liability insurance premiums , and visitor welfare also makes this  volunteer led charity event a whole heap of work  for a small band of unpaid volunteers..... 

need a stella and i need one now !
cspfan View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 8:31pm
I signed up as a volunteer at last year's feast  and as I have an NVQ in stewardship and Spectator safety thought I might be of use. No one has ever contacted me. Maybe there are others out there in the same position? I agree that not having the evening entertainment is a great loss hence my offer of help.
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:37pm
I would happily lend my skills as a trained health and safety officer, i have extensive experience and training. If who ever organises the event wants to contact me i will help out for next year's event.
Chilternman View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:47am
I too am hugely dissappointed at the lack of an evening event and also that instead of being looked into in more depth (at least little has come out suggesting that might have happened) it seems to have been resigned to the history books. I believe it was one of the most significant things to have happened in modern village history and everyone is talked about with great fondness by locals. Now obviously the open space is an issue in this day and age, ridiculous H&S rules being what they are. This means ticketing the event and enclosing it but that sounds expensive. We do however have some enclosed facilities like the Football Club or Old Job's that might be worth investigating, with maybe a production of a driving licence with an SL9 postcode to gain entry plus a small entrance fee so as to limit entrance to locals. Just a couple of ideas of the top of my head but as you see from previous topics is is an emotive subject.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 10:04am
Two feast day committee organisers stepped down last year so they have really struggled so maybe your details were lost then cspfan. Lesleyr it'll probably be better if you contact them rather than waiting for them to contact you, organising volunteers is a very difficult task. Feast day organisers can be contacted via their Facebook page if you Facebook or if you pm me I can give you an email address for one of them, don't want to declare it publically without their consent which I will try and get later.

The suggestion that they cancelled the evening event without looking into options is not the case at all. All the suggestions you mention chilternman were explored. If you'd like to help, offer advice, guidance please contact them they'd be more than grateful and you might gain an insight into the issues they face. To be honest if half the attendees didn't completely trash themselves and the village there wouldn't be so much of a problem. If people feel it is an emotive subject it's such a shame they aren't motivated to get involved.

Edited by EmmaO - 28 April 2017 at 10:06am
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 10:50am
Also, if I can add, it's not 1 or 2 people needed extra, it's lots and lots on the day. When I was setting up last year there were about 10 of us doing it all. The committee think they would need over 50 new volunteers across stewardship and cleaning, etc to make it more feasible. In context, it took a team of 30 to close the road for Remembrance Sunday, I'm so grateful for their support or we couldn't have done it. If I can also add that it's the same volunteers, by and large, organising most of these village events and things like the scouts, brownies, etc. it's a very small resource pool. All it would take it for 2/3 key people to move out of the area or feel they've dedicated enough time and effort and step down and we'd loose an awful lot of things we value.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>