Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Juicers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Juicers
    Posted: 12 December 2006 at 9:41am

I am thinking of asking Santa for a juicing machine but I know little about them.

Does anyone have one that they can recommend? What do you need to look for (other than dishwasher safe).

Can you put fruit in whole? (oranges, lemons etc) or do you have to peel them first?

I don't want top of the range, but I don't want one too cheap.

Sponsored Links

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 9:53am
mrs baggles has a juicer and a smoothie maker, the juicer is a kenwood....
 its very good, the kenwood one you can put whole fruit in....

if you are putting whole fruit in eg oranges or grapefruit you need to ensure you fit the extra  section that stops the skin going through to the juice holding section,

if you are doing apples or grapes or whatever then you can juice or pulp the lot !

we got if for about £40 from comet......

does not get used that much, about once a week...
need a stella and i need one now !
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 10:07am
Thanks Baggles. I am wary that it might become one of the unused kitchen items that reside under the stairs, although I feel sure that I would use it as I don't eat much fruit and veg and it might be a good way of making sure I do.

The steamer and the George Foreman grill get regular use so I am hoping this will too, however I am sure a tassimo coffee maker would not be such a good idea.

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 10:27am
the juicer is also good for pulping stuff so if you want fruit pulp for smoothies or your summer jugs of pimms or whatever then its usefull- you can also use if for vegetables for soups and stuff too, part boil/ steam potatoes and stuff ,leeks, carrots and put them through the juicer and you have a bowl of thick soup at the bottom-

also good for doing veg puree for babies food ( one of the reasons we also got a juicer, instant baby food machine without the hassle )
need a stella and i need one now !
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 10:40am
We have a Breville one and it is very good.  The only downside to any juicer is the cleaning time.  It is not quick to clean all the pulp from the strainers and mesh........but, if you have a heart problem like mine, it is a small price to pay for getting all the healthy food the docs prescribe......
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 10:42am
Hence the need to be as dishwasher safe as possible.
jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 10:49am
I have never really seen the point of juicers when fruit is so delicious to eat au naturelle.  But if you want one there is a raft of info on the Which? website: http://search.which.co.uk/search/search.html?qt=juicers&fm_a1_go.x=13&fm_a1_go.y=12

Edited by jessama - 12 December 2006 at 10:49am
Life is a balancing act
GOP
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 11:04am
Originally posted by jessama jessama wrote:

I have never really seen the point of juicers when fruit is so delicious to eat au naturelle. 

I agree - you lose all the fibre by juicing so usually end up with some of the vitamins and minerals, lots of the sugar and no fibre. Better to eat the fruit or to buy a smoothie maker.
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Hence the need to be as dishwasher safe as possible.
Not wanting to put a dampener on it, but I would be very,very suprised if a dishwasher could get all the mesh strainers clean, I have to use a toothbrush on ours...........but it is 6 years old so perhaps the newer ones are more friendly to clean.
jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 11:13am
I have similar thoughts about smoothies also and I don't think I would like the texture.

As it says on the Which? site:

A glass of fruit and/or vegetable juice (150ml) counts as a portion, but juice can't make up more than one portion a day. This is because you don't get the same nutritional benefits from juice as you do from whole fruit and vegetables.

Life is a balancing act
GOP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>