FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bakers Arms to The Poachers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bakers Arms to The Poachers
    Posted: 26 January 2021 at 3:00pm
Think I remember Terry who was before Mary and Gary, but that was at the start of my drinking history. The latter I think went to the magpies in Coleshill but not there any more.

Back when I was 18, the White Hart / Poachers / Greyhound used to be absolutely heaving on Friday and Saturday evenings. Remember a landlord in the white hart who used to wear a bow tie - was it Antoine?  I think the closure of Newland Park as a college had a big impact on the local pubs and economy.

Edited by watsy - 26 January 2021 at 3:01pm
Sponsored Links

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2021 at 1:47pm
or Stewart and Joyce from the Bakers Arms 

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

bungalowbill View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bungalowbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2021 at 3:42pm
I came across this thread looking for old pictures of the village etc!    I remember the Poachers well in the days that Gary and Mary were the landlords.   Good days!   Whatever happened to them?  Fair while ago now though!
Aumpu1970 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aumpu1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2017 at 1:33pm
My mum passed away a few days ago and seeing her name on here brought a smile to my face and heart thank you xx
Alastair66 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alastair66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 5:35pm
The Poachers came into being about 1983 ( i know that because I worked there, underage). CAn't remember the name of the landlord. Had some riotous nights in there.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 11:03am
Are the "ROB" still active in the village?
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

dodgydave View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 9:56am
the george used to hold rob meetings above the bar
dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2016 at 12:35am
Seem to remember going to school with a Davina Bose. I think her parents lived in the Bakers Arms but could be mistaken. Did'nt they have ROB meetings there at one time?
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2016 at 8:42pm
The Bakers Arms had 3 bars, a saloon bar, a private (snug) bar, and a larger public bar at the back.  
charlie009 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 7:48pm
The bakers arms changed to the poachers in the early 1980s I've got a video of one of my birthday's when I had a police women stripper some of my best days were spent in that pub I'm sure if you asked anyone in there mid fifty's you will hear some great stories there was a big brass ships Bell behind the bar but one of the landlords stole it we did go to Portsmouth to get it back but they refused and called the police so we positioned to the brewery but they had left was a big loss at the time !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>