Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names from the Past ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 9:10am
I was going to but I got told off for naming anything that has closed since the 50s
foodfrom4.com
Sponsored Links

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

I was going to but I got told off for naming anything that has closed since the 50s

It was not my intension to offend you, however, if you look at the first list. They are all shops that were there in the 50's.
Thus my comment. But as the list grew, it did indeed start including dated shops.

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 3:16pm
none taken - we can now therefore add lemon grass and tabla to the list
foodfrom4.com
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 3:25pm
I guess you can add what you like, why not add some stores from the Xmas fun night. I'm sure there one or two that won't be back?                

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 10:34pm
Anyone remember John's Cafe along from where Tesco is now in Gravel Hill? I believe it was owned/run by John Phipps who used to have a small shop in The Phygtle, Chalfont Common.
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

Anyone remember John's Cafe along from where Tesco is now in Gravel Hill? I believe it was owned/run by John Phipps who used to have a small shop in The Phygtle, Chalfont Common.

Best bacon sandwiches and a cuppa around,

He also did a bit of sight clearing, landscaping, sold a few logs and kept a few cattle.

Edited by hissing sid - 25 September 2013 at 1:41pm
Hissing Sid

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 10:38pm
Anyone remember the volunteer-staffed fire station along the Lower Road?
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 3:32am
yes, it was at the bottom of Chiltern Hill, if I remember correctly. There was also a siren on top of a pole right on the corner of the street

I think Mr, Birch. the caretaker at the school was a volunteer. he lived around half way between the "Bakers Arms" and Beesons.

Edited by hissing sid - 26 September 2013 at 3:37am
Hissing Sid

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 9:29pm
there was also aquasoft shop on the market place too, also threshers off licence used to be on the market place.. ( i think its where the funeral directors is now ) and what about the old car parts shop that is where the toy shop is now....

wow loads of businesses have come and gone....

need a stella and i need one now !
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2013 at 7:03pm
Does anyone remember the travel shop at the bottom of Market Place opposite Barclays? I think it was run by a mother and son.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>