Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names from the Past ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 8:45pm
Thank you Butterfly does ring another bell. Thank your mumfor me she cold come in useful if I have any more mad memories Bless her.
Sponsored Links

dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 9:03pm
Thank you Watsy-I think I must have followed you around dentists. Only left Mr Peters in 1969 but I think his daughter took over when he retired. Pleased to seeDr Hoards name on the list he he brought me into the world in 1946.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Sparkle Sparkle wrote:

That was good to see, the directory that is. My doctor was Dr Fagin and Dr Wright when Dr Fagin retired and my dentist was Mr Stobie and then later moved on to Mr Peters

My doctors were the same, Dr Fagan and then Dr Wright. I remember being taken to Dr Fagan at his house/surgery along Packhorse Road, he examined an infected wound in my hand and then personally drove me down to Chalfonts hospital where I was immediately operated on and where I stayed for the night - can you imagine that happening in the NHS today!!

My dentist was also Mr Stobie. He had dental chairs in two adjoining rooms and used to run between each patient doing a bit of work on each one - I guess he was boosting productivity. He seemed to love filling teeth and then when he could fill them no more, extracting them!
Butterfly View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 10:58pm
Oh yes - Mr Stobie!!  Fillings with no anaesthetics!!  But, he did have a wonderful aquarium of tropical fish Confused
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 11:26pm
Didn't Mr Stobie's daughter marry an actor, Alan ......?

Yes, he did have a wonderful aquarium, and as a young guy I always thought he had attractive dental nurses! Perhaps just a teenage fantasy!
Chilternman View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2014 at 6:54am
Well now, there are some names from the past, I used to be taken to Dr Wrights surgery when I was very small in the fifties. He worked from a small terraced house in Orchard Grove and we would sit in a waiting room and "wait" no appointments I seem to recall. His secretary used to sit in there with us and had a distinctive manner, she would answer the phone with ...Dr Wrights surgery, yes...yes...yes...yes...yes...yes...yes...yes...yes...yes my sister and I always found it amusing. Dr Wright (who always greeted me with "hello old boy") then moved to Calcot house which stood on the corner of Hamden Rd and was to become the forerunner of the current Calcot before it was demolished.
My mum also walked us across the top of Gold Hill common to Mr Stobies, there we would delight in the aquarium or look through the piles of National Geographic mags, one of the pretty girls would then call us through and Mr Stobie would be waiting to attack our teeth without anasthetic, warning us that it may hurt a bit. I am sure it was a NHS scam, I'll bet he put a claim in for a jab for every patient, by some miracle though I still have a reasonable set of teeth. If we did need a tooth extracted it was a job for Dr Wright who would attend and administer the "gas" before Stobie wrenched out the offending tooth whilst you had this strange dream of falling down some never ending tunnel ( well that's what happened to me). Then Dr Wright would drive me home as you were a bit wobbly for a while, happy days!
Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2014 at 9:29am
I remember going to mr Stobie and he would put me in one surgery and my brother in the one next door and he would do a bit with me and then in to Stuart, back and forth, and he told me my teeth were better than his and then I learnt he told my brother his were better than mine!
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2014 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

Didn't Mr Stobie's daughter marry an actor, Alan ......?

After a bit of research I'm pretty sure that his daughter was called Maureen, (I believe she was an actress and used the satge surname of Scott), married the actor Alan Dobie in 1963. The marriage must have been local because it's registered in Amersham.
Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2014 at 10:27am
Didn't she sing with Burl Ives, the ugly bug ball or something like that
born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:13am
Mr. Stobie must have set a world record for filling children's teeth. I was one of his victims.
My doctor was Dr. Gallagher whose house was knocked down and Benchmanor Crescent was born.
Fotunately not many memories of visiting him. I believe he enjoyed a drink!
local born and bred
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>