Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 9:12am
Sid, i'll dig it out and check the postmark again, some I have to guess as the print isn't great.
Sponsored Links

watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:01am
I've found my old picture postcards book by Audrey Wheelband so will endeavour to backfill some of the postcards with more information from there.  
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 9:58am
The vending machine at the post office, was a Cadbury chocolates vending machine.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:05am
Was it, oh, my memory is wrong again lol
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:26am
I like most kids had a taste for chocolate, one Sunday morning on my way to church. That were I was supposed to be going, probably going to the river or playing fields.
I found that I could cut half the bar away with my pen knife, by pulling the draw open a little. 2 or 3 weeks later, I had a shilling in my pocket. With out thinking about it, I put the shilling in the machine and ending up with the other half.
That's my memory of that machine.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 8:54pm
"The Bakers Arms (Poachers / Phoenix)and Barclays Bank, no post mark to date." - Page 6

Judging by the picture on page 5 dated 1905 the one on page 6 must be 5 to 10 years earlier judging by the tree behind the church roof.

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 1:46pm
Second photo page 7,
Interesting to note, the river dried up back then. Can't really blame that on recent infrastructure developments.
Hissing Sid

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 3:56pm
Page 7 "High Street with the George and Church railings. No post marked date.". I reckon somewhere around 1920 - The 1921 Street directory shows "Johnstone" at the George but not there in the 1929 version and it was Bonsey in some of your <>1910 photos and by 1917 it was "H. Baldwin".

It wouldn't surprise me if the "Chalfont St Peter Church and Memorial, no post mark for date." wasn't taken at the same time judging from the tree in the Church grounds.

Art

Edited by ArtB - 11 July 2017 at 4:20pm
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:29pm
Page 8 - Stowells with ladder - Late 50's at a guess, possibly early 60's. The car to the right of the cyclist looks like a Fiat 500 and they weren't made until 1957 according to Wikipedia.

Art 
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 4:11pm
Page 8  "High Street 1932" is already on Page 7 - "High Street, 1932 with the White Hart, Carpenters Arms and Parish church in view."

Art
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>