Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commenting on old pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 6:51pm
Yes I have Audrey's book but there are some different ones in your collection, there aren't so many of us about now who remember the village pre-precinct, but it was beautiful and such a loss, what many don't realise is there was a lot of housing and pubs etc from the Greyhound up to the Waggon & Horses, you can see it in some of your pics.
Sponsored Links

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

Re the picture of the post office and library October 24th
We’ve calculated that the post office moved from this location to the lower side of the vale around 1940

Mid 50's we remember the library. You went in the door from the street, on the left was a door into a Post Office/Bank or such like, (I remember a Post Office/Bank type of counter sort of facing me on the left) down a dimley lit corridor, up some steps and into the library.

If it wasn't the Post Office then perhaps it was the Midland Bank, but I thought they were below the Vale before they moved to the Precinct....

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Chilternman View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 9:09pm
I also remember the library had a dim corridor up some steps but I'm sure it was above the vale.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Chilternman Chilternman wrote:

I also remember the library had a dim corridor up some steps but I'm sure it was above the vale.

I belive you are correct. I wanted to say this, when this picture came up, but wasn’t totally sure.

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Chilternman Chilternman wrote:

Yes it was above the Vale, the challenge I have is remembering who was in front of them. 

The more I think about it. If Sid is correct and the Post Office moved out in 1940 then I 'think' that Midland Bank must have moved in. Then, when the new library was built, 1965/6 (?),  I think that Midland Bank moved to a shop below The Vale as a temporary measure until the precinct was built in 1967/8 and they could move into it.

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 7:52pm
Sorry I just don't have a detailed memory of the shops above the vale at that time just going into the library with mum. Having said that I do recall the Co-op being on the corner and next to that was a bicycle shop, at the top was an electrical shop.
Now on to the last picture posted, that I find more fascinating than the previous one and it just shows what a monumentally disasterous job our developers have made of a once unbelievably delightful village of huge historic interest, sadly now almost all gone.
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 10:15am
The picture posted today looking down Gold Hill towards the village shows Fred Jarrets House and it's. Marked with a cross for some reason
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 10:46am
Maybe postmarked 1958, but no clock?
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 11:16am
I was born in Chalfont St Peter in 1950 and I can only remember a post office in the Market Place once you had gone past the Vale walking down, It used to have a cigarette vending machine in the front that was accessible from the street.

Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 11:22am
Watsy has shown an old coloured photo of the Greyhound circa 1968 showing the old Yellow & Black horse drawn carriage outside the pub. I remember this so well, John Tyler had the job of repainting it back then.
Sadly I remember seeing this coach laying on its side badly damaged on the Wycombe to Stokenchurch road as you went down the hill towards Stokenchurch there is a fairly sharp bend on your left and this was the spot where the coach lay.
I believe the owners of the Greyhound in those days had sold the carriage and the buyers I presume 'lost' their load on their way back to their destination wherever that may have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>