Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lower Road and Surrounding Roads Parking Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lower Road and Surrounding Roads Parking Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 12:51am
Maybe a two storey car park at the community centre? The area is due for redevelopment and it’s not overlooked by housing? Clad with wood so it blends in? You could also do underground parking at church Lane but the expense is probably prohibitive. When I lived in Italy though underground parking was commonplace as it was considered better for residents and environment especially when space is limited. Also spaces could be created on road down to gx golf club?
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
Sponsored Links

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by EmmaO EmmaO wrote:

...You could also do underground parking at church Lane ....

Underground parking in CSP might prove a challenge with the water table height from time to time.

How about: Make the by-pass a two lane road using the current southbound carriageway between the Greyhound and Kingsway roundabouts, then make the northbound carriageway into a long echelon parking car park, reckon you could get two echelons, one each side of a oneway access road.

Art

Edited by ArtB - 24 March 2018 at 10:15am
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Chilternman Chilternman wrote:

It was an idea but why ridiculous? Can you suggest a better area to use?

You may as well have suggested using the football pitch! Challenge with all of this is that parking is not 'The Problem' it is a symptom of many real problems which are continually ignored. Some have already been mentioned.

Free parking for commuters from GX station
Insufficient Parking for local companies at the bottom of Chiltern Hill.
Insufficient parking planned in the new development.
More cars per household now than in years gone by.
Car share meeting points?

and I guess there are more.

The trick, if anyone has the imagination, is to fix the real problems.

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Paul_G View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/16106219.mum-and-daughter-almost-run-over-on-road-plagued-with-traffic-problems-as-residents-speak-out-over-parking/?ref=mrb&lp=1

Well I'm amazed. This article has the most creative idea I've seen in ages, namely  "Chalfont St Peter Chamber of Commerce says the issue, which has affected the village for years, is impacting businesses in the area – and the group is planning to launch a scheme which will see residents rent their drives to commuters to park on."

Will it work?  I don't know. But I love the fact that something other than double yellow lines is being considered. 
Chilternman View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 6:50pm
But why would I suggest the football pitch, now that is a ridiculous comment, the allotments are not fully utilised and there are several areas where they could be relocated. The problems you talk about cannot be rectified because there is an ongoing build up of vehicles in the village. Over development must cease and parking must be found. Some of the issues you mention can be addressed but they are going to make little difference.
What we need is major restrictions on parking in roads with enforcement, then parking available for all who need it (preferably on the opposite side of CSP to GX to deter rail commuters from using it. Roads are for driving on not for parking!
FayR View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FayR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 9:49pm
Actually the allotments are very well utilised and I believe there is also a waiting list!
And Church lane car park is NEVER full, I live right by it and so can say that with certainty!!!!
The issue is people coming to work in village and not wanting to pay for parking!! Parking is an issue yes coz they are using the local roads and streets which are free and not the available car park!!!
Make the roads in question permit parking for residents and the commuters into the village will simply have to pay for their parking!!!!! Not difficult!
And some people seem to be too lazy to park in church lane and walk into the shops! As and when I see the church lane Car park full, I’ll pipe up and say I’m wrong!
No point turning a well used allotment into another car park that won’t be used!!!
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 10:24pm
I used to live on lower road and there never used to be any parking. I think the problem was exacerbated when the three storey office blocks were built at the bottom of Chiltern Hill with a ludicrously small number of parking spaces (cannot be bothered to look it up for precise information), no idea how that got passed, not least the councillors and 'sense' had been vigorously protesting about the NSE putting up 3 storey buildings just a few years previously.  They should have built underground car parks there. Anyway, what is done is done.

As Fay says, people don't want to pay for parking - also why should they if they've come to work, should be enough space or alternative arrangements.  Church Lane could have an 11-12 one hour parking cost to stop the GX commuters if that was a real problem.
Another solution was used previously at CPSA / Cricket Club, to lease their car park during the week and use the shuttle bus into the village - not too far from Chiltern Hill offices and they should pay or their service rent cover it (either way the company pays).

The cars by the Coronation Clock I hope are only temporary as they are workers from the Grange - though why they've not got space to have the workers park on site is a mystery to me.

If the Community Centre gets redeveloped, then there maybe more parking, but not over the allotments - though there are plenty of other fields that could be released along Mill Meadow for more allotments.  The Parish Council used to own grazing land there which was leased out to horse owners for not a lot - no idea if that was sold or not.

Is Gold Hill moving to Techspan or is that in addition to - if moving that'll remove the parking problem around the Jolly Farmer. If addition it might well fill up Church Lane!

Other parking - The NSE has got a big car park now! Winkers has an underutilised car park during the day!

Cannot think where else to put a car park - land is too valuable to just have cars on it (maybe the grazing land but busy access on the A413).

Over a decade ago I had an interesting conversation with a councillor from St Giles about the viability of a local minibus funded by the local councils pootling around the villages more frequently with many more drop offs to and from GX and Little Chalfont stations. My memory of the precise conversation and who with is hazy.

Renting drives is a great idea but still mean paying which people won't want to do.

Some ramblings....
FayR View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FayR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 10:45pm
I fail to understand why working people think free parking is a given?!!! Working in the public sector I get paid little and often have to pay for parking when at work, and I also have no objection to paying for parking anywhere else I go! If your company provide it or offer to pay for it then great but I actually think it’s the responsibility of the individual and not the company to pay for parking!!!
I strongly feel that none of the remaining Greenland in village should be changed for parking when there is a very reasonably priced and very unused car park in the centre of the village!!!
We live in a world where people feel they are owed and entitled to things! You ask most people and they have to pay for commuting or parking in their job! That’s life and something you need to take into account when you take a job!

Edited by FayR - 24 March 2018 at 10:55pm
GXCSP View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GXCSP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 8:13pm
As I suspected, the problem appears largely to be the fact that people don't want to pay for parking. The church lane car park is perfectly adequate. Perhaps raise the free limit to 2 hours for shoppers slowing M&S and Costa to grow roots, then charge more for the longer all day stays.

Hey! Guess what workers, you have to pay for your commute. I do - I pay a fortune for Chiltern rail and when I drive I have to pay £7 more to park the car. Per day. Suck it up. Plaster Lower Road with residents permit parking and the problem goes away. It's actually very simple to fix this.
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 8:42pm
Driving around the village this afternoon I was struck by how easy it was. The parking problem is caused I would say almost solely by inconsiderate commuter parking. I don't really care if they like it or not The majority of people who commute into the village contribute nothing to the village and yet expect us to endure the chaos they cause. I have been recently using the church lane car park its £3.60 per day and there are always spaces. Chilterns district council have a lot to answer to. It doesn't take Einstein to work out that there were never going to be enough parking spaces at children hill !!. So the question is who signed off on the development in the first place ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>