Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the Greyhound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Greyhound
    Posted: 20 August 2007 at 12:51pm
I've noticed that lots of people are bemoaning the changes to 'The Greyhound Inn'. It was indeed a lovely old pub full of copper pans and so on (in the late 60s and early 70s they employed an old man specifically to polish the brass and copper ware). I worked as a chambermaid there in the mid 70s in the summer vac from Uni. Not only did I get to clean the rooms but also had the delightful duty of taking the then landlord's clothes, including underpants, to the laundrette. All I can say is, no wonder they didn't want to put them through the Inn's own washing machine!!!! I also got to clean the bathroom of the male kitchen help. So hideous was the lavatory there that all I could do was to rush in, squirt Harpic down the pan and make a run for it before I had to take the next breath. Happy days!   

And incidentally, what happened to the yellow London to York stage coach which adorned the carpark in times gone by?

Edited by Lloyd - 29 August 2007 at 1:49pm
LC
Sponsored Links

Wolfie View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 5:35pm
LLoyd, I want to know what has happened to the stone statue of a greyhound which used to be on their flat roof.  Apparently, he's gone to happier places (i.e. the builders probably nicked him)

Power to the people

Robbo View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 8:29am
That old coach ............when the pub was pulled apart and turned into a stainless steel and plastic goldfish bowl, the new owner was going to take it out the back and burn it but a VERY good mate of mine got to hear about and told him that if he (the owner) attempted it, he (my mate) would throw him on the bonfire too, so the owner gave it to my mate, who had it towed away. My mate was a guy named Paul Neville and a top notch carpenter/cabinet maker and he was going to try and restore the coach but what has happened to it since is beyond my ken, but if Paul is still alive, you will find him in one of the pubs or the betting shop and he may be able to help you. If you do find him, please remind him of the poem I wrote him many years ago *smile*  
But who will watch the watchers ?
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

That old coach ............when the pub was pulled apart and turned into a stainless steel and plastic goldfish bowl, the new owner was going to take it out the back and burn it but a VERY good mate of mine got to hear about and told him that if he (the owner) attempted it, he (my mate) would throw him on the bonfire too, so the owner gave it to my mate, who had it towed away. My mate was a guy named Paul Neville and a top notch carpenter/cabinet maker and he was going to try and restore the coach but what has happened to it since is beyond my ken, but if Paul is still alive, you will find him in one of the pubs or the betting shop and he may be able to help you. If you do find him, please remind him of the poem I wrote him many years ago *smile*  

I saw Paul Neville sitting at the bar in The Greyhound having a pint just over a year ago. If he still has it where is he storing it is what I wonder?
Dvr22999874 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dvr22999874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 12:22am
I saw Paul a year ago and he is still working and still downing a few pints at either the Greyhound or the Merlins Cave in CSG. It was good to see him and re-hash old times. Man, the whole area has changed so much I hardly recognised it. I don't think I will be returning to U.K. again in the foreseeable future but it was good to see the old faces and the old places again.

The Drunken Sailor
 Post Reply Post Reply