Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cabin Stores

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabin Stores
    Posted: 08 September 2015 at 3:08pm
Hi,

After spending some time reading through the posts about old businesses in Chalfont St. Peter, and in particular about "The Hut" on Chalfont Common, I think I can provide some more information about it.

The Hut was called "Cabin Stores", and was in Cross Lanes, just off Rickmansworth Lane.  During the the latter part of the 1950s', and the early 1960s; it was owned and ran by my grand-parents, Ernest and Dorothy Page.  After the death of my grand-father in 1960, the shop was run by my grand-mother and mother.

The shop was a bit like Granvilles in Open All Hours, selling everything from matches to heating oil.

As far as I know, there are only two pictures of the Cabin Stores.  My sister has one, and I have the other. They were painted by Cyril Grant, who lived in the bungalow across the road from the shop.

The shop and bungalow was pulled down in the 1970s', and is now the site of Highfield Court.

I hope this has stirred a few memories.

Mike.
Sponsored Links

Angie Pitts View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angie Pitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:49am
I remember the store well as my mother, Bessie Soars nee Windsor, was good friends with Rosemary Page and we often went to tea at the back of the store (or was it upstairs). I don't know for sure, but I think that Rosemary might have been my Godmother?
Angie Pitts (nee Soars)
 Post Reply Post Reply