Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Out & About
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Madeira

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2011 at 8:42pm
Some rules are there to be broken, especially stupid ones. Let's fill those empty shops and get the economy moving!
Sponsored Links

rizzo View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2011 at 9:07pm
Malc, you really are so predictable.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 4:51pm
Not sure why anyone thought the Madeira did not have planning permission? They are now expanded into the shop next door and are hoping to expand upstairs also, as they have a licence to open till 1130 at night. I had a look today at their dinner menu and it sounds wonderful. They do traditional meat and fish dishes of Portugal.

The cafe (also Boneca up Gold Hill) is run by a Portuguese family from the beautiful island of Madeira. If when I go there for dinner I find they are playing Fado music as well, then I will truly be in nostalgic heaven. (Anyone heard Mariza's 'Transparente' album? It's so haunting).

They don't yet have a license to sell alcohol at the Madeira but for now they will not charge for corkage or use of glasses if you want to take long your own wine.

Having lived in Portugal for a few years, and been missing it, I was delighted to see real Portuguese coffee(Portuguese folks all have their own favourite brands and choose their cafes accordingly - Delta, as sold in the Madeira, is my own personal favourite).

They do indeed sell authentic pasteis de nata (custard tarts) and also the pasteis de bacalhau (savoury fish & potato cakes). I tried the latter and they are very good. How nice to have an alternative to fast food and cuisine from other continents. I for one am going to pop in for dinner soon.       
rizzo View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 6:59pm
Just check the Chiltern District council planning website, application no. 
CH/2009/1926/FA

Read it and you will see that they were granted change of use from dwelling house to A1  retail use which  allows general retail and/or cold food takeaway, NOT restaurant or hot food takeaway.

But I suppose as long as they make a nice pastry its okay.
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 9:45pm
Fair enough Rizzo. No doubt you're absolutely right. It should have been left empty or used for storage or another pound shop, or by some sort of facility which brings no benefit to our village at all. Or we could have more greasy burgers. I don't suppose we have a brothel, do we? Let us have the crap and tasteless pseudo-Slough which the many 'incomers' desire. Are our planners really so contrary? I give up, I really do.     
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 1:25pm
They will not get an A3 licence - El Boncena got one somehow, but according to CDCs own guidlines there are now too many A3 premises in the area.

So, they bend the rules in the same way that Top Crust does - trading hot food on an A1 licence which restricts how many seats they can have.

However, to open a restaurant they will need to ensure that they have a fulll kitchen, which means they will have to please the environmental health officials that any smells from cooking will be minimal.

I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 1:56pm

The rules are there for a reason. There must be a reason why they are breaking the rules; financial cost or know they wouldn't get the correct licence.

What about the premises that do follow the rules - they should get protection against lawbreakers.

local born and bred
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 6:49pm
Top Crust does takeaway food, which attracts vehicles (often large commercial ones)to stop directly outside, and this is a traffic hazzard. If they have granted permission for Madeira - which is almost opposite Top Crust - to do takeaway food (only), then there's a chance this would lead to double parking, which would be an even greater hazzard, or at least would increase the takeaway clientele stopping along that part of the village. Sit down diners don't usually stop right outside but park properly. I notaice a few folks who were having their cars washed in Budgens car park kept an eye on proceedings from Madeira and had lunch at the same time. It strikes me that it is folly to have 2 takeaways so close to each other - 3 if you count the kebab place. Surely it is far better to have cafes? I cannot agree that we have too many eateries. It is these which keep a village alive, especially at night and it is good to have a choice. The kebab shop is ugly and not all of us like fast food. I shall be very sorry if this nice family are not allowed to pursue a highly desirable cafe business. Otherwise, there's a danger that this part of the village could become 'takeaway city'. I haven't heard anyone complaining about the number of eateries in GX (other than about the chicken take away). Are we really the cheap cousins to GX? Couldn't we have a bit of class?
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

Top Crust does takeaway food, which attracts vehicles (often large commercial ones)to stop directly outside, and this is a traffic hazzard. If they have granted permission for Madeira - which is almost opposite Top Crust - to do takeaway food (only), then there's a chance this would lead to double parking, which would be an even greater hazzard, or at least would increase the takeaway clientele stopping along that part of the village. Sit down diners don't usually stop right outside but park properly. I notaice a few folks who were having their cars washed in Budgens car park kept an eye on proceedings from Madeira and had lunch at the same time. It strikes me that it is folly to have 2 takeaways so close to each other - 3 if you count the kebab place. Surely it is far better to have cafes? I cannot agree that we have too many eateries. It is these which keep a village alive, especially at night and it is good to have a choice. The kebab shop is ugly and not all of us like fast food. I shall be very sorry if this nice family are not allowed to pursue a highly desirable cafe business. Otherwise, there's a danger that this part of the village could become 'takeaway city'. I haven't heard anyone complaining about the number of eateries in GX (other than about the chicken take away). Are we really the cheap cousins to GX? Couldn't we have a bit of class?

I think you are getting confused between Top Crust and Flames. Top Crust is by the zebra crossing, Madeira is opposite the library.

I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Grovesy View Drop Down
NAG Moderator
NAG Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 12:34pm
I think they mean Mr Crustys.

"Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
MARGARET MEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>