Forum Description: Notices of village events and comments
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3775
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 9:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pedestrianise the Precinct Area
Posted By: Yorkie
Subject: Pedestrianise the Precinct Area
Date Posted: 02 October 2007 at 1:40pm
Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising? the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark. This area could easily be turned into an area for a weekly market and in good weather tables and chairs could be set out to form a continental feel ie coffee's etc.

Replies:
Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 02 October 2007 at 2:02pm
It's not owned by the council so I suspect they have never thought of it. And I think all the shops in the precinct would be against it if the landlord ever thought that.

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Posted By: Lollipop
Date Posted: 15 October 2007 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Yorkie Yorkie wrote:

Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising? the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark. This area could easily be turned into an area for a weekly market and in good weather tables and chairs could be set out to form a continental feel ie coffee's etc.

Never mind who owns it, what about people who can only walk a very short distance - how are they supposed to get to those shops if they can't be dropped or park right there?

It's bad enough that all the on-street parking's taken by (mainly) able-bodied folk who just don't want to pay for parking - which they can hardly be blamed for, if the option's there.

But have you (able-bodied readers) any idea what it's like to HAVE to drive away because you can't park close enough?  It's sort of like not having enough change for the car park only MUCH MUCH worse, because you can't go and get a new pair of legs out of the kids' piggy bank, not even just the once. 

I'm very tempted to suggest to the Council that they make Market Place blue badge parking only, with only the few proposed delivery spaces and absolutely no waiting. 

Oh, hang on, that's another thing, people who "just" stop for 5 minutes in blue badge spaces (e.g. in GX by the cash machines), great, cheers, so the less able and elderly have to go home because there's no parking when they drive past, thanks a lot, wouldn't they just love to have the luxury of being able to park elsewhere and WALK.

I'm nearly over my rant, honest.

But finally, some local councils are becoming more aware of the fact that the less able and elderly actually do an awful lot to keep the local economy going - more so than the younger and fitter folk who can "commute" distances to retail parks, etc. - so they should be accommodated more.  Not so far from here, they've introduced special parking bays for the over 60s.  And why not, I say.

(Not having a go at you, Yorkie, btw.)

-------------
... for the peace of my years in the long green grass ...

Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 29 October 2007 at 9:20am

Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark?

It is a good idea and would possibly increase the revenue for the adjoining shops. It would certainly make that area of the village more attractive. 

It will not happen though.

Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 29 October 2007 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark?

It is a good idea and would possibly increase the revenue for the adjoining shops. It would certainly make that area of the village more attractive. 

It will not happen though.

I think it would actually lead to a decrease in those shops revenue and an increase in skateboarding/rollerblading etc and would become a focal point for late night anti-social behaviour. Also, it's littered enough as it is - can you imagine it if it was pedestrianised? Would you want to sit out in that?

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Date Posted: 29 October 2007 at 10:46am

Unfortunately you are probably right about the anti-social behaviour and litter.  I disagree about the revenue though, anything that draws large groups of people to an area must boost sales, hence fun night.

In the meanwhile we will just have to go elsewhere to have a civilised cup of coffee in a pleasant location.

Posted By: PCSO Brennan
Date Posted: 01 March 2010 at 11:37am

Either option is good.

Many times i see people trying to get in and out of those 1/2 car width spaces, people parking in 2 spaces and people waiting for 30mins more just to park. surely church lane car park isnt that far away?

-------------
Chalfont Common & Central | Goldhill & Austenwood
Chiltern South NHPT
Non Emergency Number: 08458 505 505

Date Posted: 01 March 2010 at 12:30pm
Surely a compromise could be met with allowance for some disabled parking, I really can't understand why anti social behaviour would be any worse as the shops are closed in the evening.

Posted By: Chillies
Date Posted: 22 October 2010 at 6:02pm
I think the idea of having no cars in the Square is a no-go for all the reasons mentioned, however a market could be brought in (weekly, monthly, farmers etc) and only close it then as most other 'modern' villages do.
All the traders/pubs and shops would then benefit from the extra trade and footfall.
As for a Blue Bagde zone, maybe a clearer identification of the two bays in the square would help. At the moment one limp sign smaller than an A4 sheet helps no one.
Better idea, move the two Blue Badge spots to the HSBC corner and then the CCTV which sees no crime or anti social activity can check if they are showing Blue badges and record/pass on their details if not.

http://www.chalfontchillies.co.uk - http://www.chalfontchillies.co.uk

-------------
www.chalfontchillies.co.uk Twitter: @chalfontchillie Facebook: chalfontchillies

Often to be seen walking his Staffie Cross and two Chihuahuas so please say hello

Date Posted: 24 October 2010 at 6:59pm
I think the disabled bays should be opposite the Launderette in the spaces big enough for two cars but not the three spaces it's supposed to be accomodating.

Date Posted: 24 October 2010 at 8:17pm

I think the disabled bays should be opposite the Launderette in the spaces big enough for two cars but not the three spaces it's supposed to be accomodating.

I think the disabled bays should be where disabled people most need them. 

Outside the post office seems like a good spot.

Bear in mind that [I think I'm right in saying that] the St Peter's Court car park is privately owned and run, so they probably only do the bare minimum that's needed.

The disabled spaces in the Church Lane car park are way too far from anywhere for a blue badge holder.  We need disabled spaces at intervals up Market Place - and some means of stopping t@ssers in big cars from thinking it's OK to stop there for a minute.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 October 2010 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Lollipop Lollipop wrote:

I think the disabled bays should be where disabled people most need them. 

Outside the post office seems like a good spot.

I disagree, it's on a busy corner and the spaces provided do not allow for wheelchair access.  Either the 2 spaces outside the lauderette or the 2 paces outside Timpsons would be better.

The disabled spaces in the Church Lane car park are way too far from anywhere for a blue badge holder.

There are two sets at least, possibly three in the Church Lane car park.  One makes no sense at all being near the flats but without access to them.  There are certainly some down by the Greyhound and I think near the Church Hall.

Date Posted: 25 October 2010 at 6:04pm
Hmm, having a spot of trouble replying to you there, ML.

What I've tried to say in answer to the two points above (you'll just have to guess which bit's which Wink):

What on earth makes you think that disabled bay users are also wheelchair users?  Many will be blue badge holders who find it difficult or impossible to walk more than 50m, with or without pain.

And what on mars makes you think that wheelchair users are either (a) capable of propelling themselves from the other side of the car park or (b) only capable of propelling themselves from the other side of the car park?

There's no right answer.  Ergo we must assume that any disabled bay user is only able to travel a minimal distance from vehicle to destination and, back to my point, the post office is the most likely.

There are three sets of disabled bays in the Church Lane car park.

That single one in the middle is weird but I suppose fine for some categories of disabled people (see lecture below).  It will also probably be useful for minibuses transporting groups of wheelchair users with helpers.

The spaces by the church will be great for church users (again, with assistance) and the three at the St Peter's Court end of the car park will surely suit many categories of disabled persons (see lecture) but they're quite useless for blue badge holders who fall into the category of having " physical disability that means you are unable to walk very far without experiencing severe discomfort".

What hope have this group of people got of using the shops in CSP unless we make provision for them up Market Place?

Today's lecture is that DISABLED doesn't automatically mean WHEELCHAIR.

If I recall, blue badge holders can fall into a number of categories - unable to walk, extreme difficulty/pain in walking, no use of upper limbs, severely disabled small child (requiring medical equipment to be transported, or needing to be whisked away to get medical care).

-------------

Posted By: Henry
Date Posted: 26 October 2010 at 8:10am

Today's lecture is that DISABLED doesn't automatically mean WHEELCHAIR.

I have to agree with that statement BUT it has little or no relavance. As disabled spaces have to be such that they can be used by a wheelchair user.

I prefer the spaces to be called Easy Access.

As to Easy access spaces in Market Place I have to dissagree. Parking anywhere in market place is dagerous able bodied or not. The idea of a wheelchair user getting out of their car into the road on that hill. NO

-------------
Keep the green belt green

Posted By: J.R.
Date Posted: 26 October 2010 at 9:22am
Are the spaces at the Market Place end of Budgens carpark reserved for disabled badge holders ?

This would make more sense than on the hill - by the mobility shop & near the zebra-crossing.

-------------
JR was ere

Date Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:26pm

we must assume that any disabled bay user is only able to travel a minimal distance from vehicle to destination and, back to my point, the post office is the most likely.

Why? What if their destination is Nat West Bank, or Timpsons or the Launderette? 

And as for not all disabled people need wheelchair access, I bet a number of them would welcome an extra bit of room to get out of the car.

Date Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

Are the spaces at the Market Place end of Budgens carpark reserved for disabled badge holders ?

This would make more sense than on the hill - by the mobility shop & near the zebra-crossing.

Budgens carpark is supposed to be for Budgens customers. I know people think it's a free village car park but it's not.

Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

Budgens carpark is supposed to be for Budgens customers. I know people think it's a free village car park but it's not.

4 hour limit on budgens carpark, i don't know how strict it's enforced.there is a bloke there from euro car parks.

Date Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:36pm
I thought it was 90 minutes

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 27 October 2010 at 10:14am
I never park in the precinct. I always use Church Rd and never have any need to stay more than an hour. I like the idea of a pedestrianised square though. Maybe a more trendy cafe is needed as the others are a little soulless. Would it not be better to provide disabled parking on Market Place - ie close to the majority of shops?

@chillies - maybe you are interested in stocking my range of produce? PM me for more information

Date Posted: 27 October 2010 at 11:56am
I am a great advocate of  pedestrianising the precinct area as at present it is an eyesore, and with an introduction of a monthly market (?) and an area for outside seating it surely will encourage people to shop, eat and drink.

Posted By: Sparkle
Date Posted: 27 October 2010 at 12:27pm
I totally agree, Yorkie.

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 16 April 2011 at 5:07pm
There's no disputing the fact that the precinct is an eyesore (no disrespect to those who live and work there - it is just as unappealing as many other 1960s precincts in many other lovely villages throughout the country, having been built without regard to aesthetics) and it would be a relief to see it demolished and the residents and commercial outlets given better premises. However, that's never going to happen.

Even part pedestrianisation would be a welcome development, as the congestion caused by traffic entering and leaving, so close to the entrance to the village, is alarming. Holding a weekly, or even monthly market there would be fantastic. CSP has had a charter therefore permission for a market since the 1200s - not sure when we lost the weekly market,but it would be fantastic to see it return. Maybe Church Lane car park might be made free of charge on market days, and local businesses, as well as market stalls, would benefit from the increase in shoppers it would attract.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net