Forum Description: News and info on whats up in Chalfont St Peter
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8246
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 1:58pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: M&S and Costa Rumour
Posted By: dickybird
Subject: M&S and Costa Rumour
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 8:57am
Finally got confirmation at the pc meeting last night, directly from the owners of the Precinct - they are in current, positive negotiations with M&S Food and Costa...
At last - confirmation of the rumour!

Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 31 March 2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by dickybird dickybird wrote:

Finally got confirmation at the pc meeting last night, directly from the owners of the Precinct - they are in current, positive negotiations with M&S Food and Costa...
At last - confirmation of the rumour!

Smile

Nice to hear some positive news on the precinct from our Parish Council,  hopefully they (the owners) can successfully conclude the business end and get them located.

I wonder if part of the negotiations will be the 1 hour limit on the parking, I can't imagine Costa being too happy with that, could you imagine shopping at M&S and then not having enough time to for a coffee and meet up with friends after.
Lets hope the owners come to their senses and make some sensible decisions regarding the parking

Thanks for the update DickyBird

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 2:41pm
slightly concerned about costa...do we really need a costa ? also think this may be bad news to our great independent coffee shops in the village, halls, crumbs, madeira, and bread house, the might of costa/ whitbread may see negative outcomes for our village coffee shops...

keep it local

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 21 April 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

slightly concerned about costa...do we really need a costa ? also think this may be bad news to our great independent coffee shops in the village, halls, crumbs, madeira, and bread house, the might of costa/ whitbread may see negative outcomes for our village coffee shops...

keep it local

Tim Horton's are just about to cross the pond. Then there will be one on every corner.

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Posted By: DBBowls
Date Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:49am
I disagree Garry, I think the 1 hour time limit is great, before it was impossible to get a spot if you wanted to pop into to get some milk or a cup of tea and a bun from Halls. You had all those people trying to save a few pence in the church car park and leaving their cars for 2 or 3 hours in the precinct.

Not sure I'm too happy about Costa, I think it's not great for the local coffee shops that a big chain is coming, but looks like it's happening, the planning application is in:

https://isa.chiltern.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OPS4YVESM8C00" rel="nofollow - https://isa.chiltern.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OPS4YVESM8C00

If M&S come in it will probably be hard to find parking again in the precinct with all the new traffic those two shops will bring, but if that's the way things are going it would be good for Chalfont to have some shops opening rather than closing. Hopefully it will rejuvenate some of the existing traders.

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:38pm
Luckily, when it comes to coffee shops, we still have choice. Madeira still serve the very best coffee in the village - by a long way. Delta coffee is the reason Portuguese people walk past one café to get to the next. They seek out the red delta sign. Also, presumably, Costa won't have a pretty, sunny tea garden as Madeira does. I no longer buy groceries in the village, but I do go there for coffee. I also buy clothes and jewellery at the Leather shop and stationery and even books from Office Direct. I may come back to the village for food when M&S arrive though. I hope they'll be selling more than sandwiches.

Date Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:44pm
i think  shops trading are better than empty ones, - however i wont be using costa, - i like to support the independent coffee shops instead, costa are fine on the side of the motorway where there is nothing else, but  dont really want a faceless coffee shop  in my village.... but each to their own

-------------

Posted By: Walrus
Date Posted: 01 June 2017 at 9:25am
Everyone said that about Costa in at Giles but it's the most popular because it's the best - service, food, hygiene, coffee quality .

-------------
Is back in the game! :)

Posted By: CharlieB
Date Posted: 02 June 2017 at 2:28pm
If you look at the documents on the planning link, they have provided some interesting appendices that highlight the benefits of having coffee shops on the high street and how much they are of benefit to the local economy.

I live in one of the flats at the precinct and it is currently soulless, dirty with litter and so forth.  Costa would be a great addition to the precinct.  I do not believe that Halls would be affected adversely at all, more so a benefit...you can't buy the cakes, loaves, home made buns/rolls from the deli counter in Costa so its a slightly different market and they do coffee yes, but that won't be affected, people will still buy their coffee there.
I think you'd be surprised at the increase in coffee shop users with a new shop as opposed to a new coffee shop diluting what you are assuming to be the maximum user base currently using all the coffee shops.  I think you'll find they will still be full and doing a good trade.
Plus you will always get people that will support the local traders which is great, but a new Costa will also be a benefit to the local traders in the great scheme of things whoever buys their coffee there or not.

I'm pretty certain that we can accommodate both local coffee independents and Costa for the overall benefit of the village high street.

Oh, and i hate coffee with a passion but still think it will be a welcome addition :)

-------------
CharlieB

Posted By: Barn Owl
Date Posted: 23 June 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

i think  shops trading are better than empty ones, - however i wont be using costa, - i like to support the independent coffee shops instead, costa are fine on the side of the motorway where there is nothing else, but  dont really want a faceless coffee shop  in my village.... but each to their own

Hear hear.

Date Posted: 23 June 2017 at 8:11pm
the planning notice is now stuck to the launderette window, looks like costa is moving forward quickly

-------------

Posted By: CharlieB
Date Posted: 20 July 2017 at 11:44am
Looks like M&S definitely going ahead as I've just received a letter of notice on behalf of M&S applying for permission for 'Installation of Plant and Screening' and 'Erection of two trolley Bays and external alterations'.

-------------
CharlieB

Posted By: ian
Date Posted: 20 July 2017 at 11:49am
Like I keep saying - M&S opening in November

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 20 July 2017 at 1:02pm
Many folks are, however, boycotting Costa, following the recent revelations about (1) highest levels of human faeces in their coffee compared to other coffee chains, and (2) the assertion by the Costa manager at Waterloo Station that it is against the law for them to sell you food which you intend to give to a homeless person.

But a huge welcome to Marks & Spencer, who actually donate their left over food to the homeless.

Posted By: brewski
Date Posted: 20 July 2017 at 4:35pm
Agreed, M&S will be a fantastic addition and boost to the precinct.

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 20 July 2017 at 4:35pm
I hope it's not the same people who said they were boycotting Tesco, that didn't last long! ;)

-------------
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)

Posted By: lesleyr
Date Posted: 20 July 2017 at 11:13pm
I suspect if they tested independent coffee shops they would find similar results. There are good ones and bad ones, chains and independants.M&S and Costa will bring business to the village and independants shops will benefit from that.

Date Posted: 22 July 2017 at 12:22pm
still like my coffee from halls - :-)

-------------

Posted By: Marie
Date Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:20pm
I've just seen a planning application has been submitted for a change of use from Financial to A1 for a delicatessen to go in the old HSBC site

Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:31pm
Exciting!!

-------------
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)

Posted By: brewski
Date Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:44pm
Anyone tried Lomito, the new Argentinian steak house in GX yet?

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Posted By: GXCSP
Date Posted: 25 July 2017 at 5:19pm
Great news re Deli. We're booked into Lomito in a couple of weeks.

Posted By: Rod
Date Posted: 25 July 2017 at 8:28pm
I have been drinking a Costa coffee (large skinny Cappuccino) every morning for a year now...scary to now imagine how much human faeces that I have imbibed in that time if stories are to be believed ...however I have been fit and well in this time (thank goodness)...perhaps it's because I do not go for the chocolate sprinkles on top?!

Posted By: Rod
Date Posted: 25 July 2017 at 8:45pm
Must do wonders for the immune system I guess.

Posted By: MV Owner
Date Posted: 25 July 2017 at 8:48pm
Rod, thats pretty disgusting way to be talking on a public forum.

Drinking a large skinny Cappucinno.  Have a word with yourself

Posted By: Sunray
Date Posted: 10 August 2017 at 4:55pm
The planning application for M&S Simply Food has been submitted to Chiltern Planning, it incorporates M&Co, the Sports shop and Genesis.

-------------
Sunray

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net