Forum Description: Photos & History of Chalfont
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8268
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:58pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Old pics
Posted By: Chilternman
Subject: Old pics
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:53pm
I've been getting notifications of posts and comments on old village pictures but if I try to post a reply it says error post is closed, any suggestions as obviously others can post replies

Replies:
Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:07pm
I had the same issue as I wanted to thank Watsy for posting them, they are so interesting, don't know how to resolve it though sorry. Watsy will know how.....

-------------
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:02pm
Over to you Watsy, I was going to say that the House on Austenwood is still there and it must be listed as its stunning and even better from inside the garden. It's Holly Farm if I remember correctly and now screened by trees even was Fifty years ago when I used to play up there, so this must be turn of the century c1900 or before as I imagine the trees grew after the grazing of livestock ceased.

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 1:35am
I suggested to Watsy to keep it a closed thread. It's such a shame when an interesting thread get hijacked by some, making stupid comments.
As you've already done, it was quite simple to start a different thread for comments.

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 8:18am
Sid did indeed make the excellent suggestion to lock it, but if you can guess when i'm posting there is a brief window to post in it!

Thanks for the info Chilternman, one day I hope to take photos of the postcards as they are today... though taken me about 10 years to start this thread...

I am also adding them to a Google map, but do those in batches, so you can see what i'm planning to post in advance if you want to spoil the surprise lol. 

http://drive.google.com/open?id=1uxzeojpQAEbO3cVhd6Li0v1GNc8&usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uxzeojpQAEbO3cVhd6Li0v1GNc8&usp=sharing  

Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:07am
Thanks for posting them watsy, makes sense to limit the thread to pics, they are lovely to see.

-------------
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 12:19pm
Whan Cross - Welders Lane - Check out  http://www.the-limes.com/postcards/chalfont-st-peter/csp-104/" rel="nofollow - http://www.the-limes.com/postcards/chalfont-st-peter/csp-104/

Art

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:04pm
That is a better link.  Some good postcards on there too.

Date Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:16pm
The Chalfont Park 1927 photo. My guess is that  it is/was Home Farm. It was on the right hand side as you went up the track through (well over the little footbridge) the ford, past the weir at the end of the lake up towards Chalfont Lodge.

Why? Well it is obviously on a slope and the only other two buildings that show on the 1926 map I have that might fit are on the flat. One being "The Cottage" (between the Golf Club and Chalfont Park House) and that doesn't have the porch in the photo and the backdrop doesn't look right, and the other being Chalfont Lodge itself.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:24pm
Art, I thought that myself.

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Posted By: Sunray
Date Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:13pm
Absolutely loving seeing all the old postcards, thanks Watsy, I hope you have lots more.

-------------
Sunray

Date Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:05pm
Thanks for the feedback, I've plenty more to post, then I move onto the memorabilia, though not as much of that and some of which I posted a long time ago. Tongue

Posted By: Henry
Date Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:44pm
Thanks for posting, Great Pictures.
I like the Steam Roller outside the Greyhound in the picture with the horse in the water (3rd picture on 3rd page)

-------------
Keep the green belt green

Date Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:26pm
I'm struggling with your "Greyhound, but from the 'roundabout' side," It must be post 1905 as that is when the AA was formed I think. The motorcycle looks somewhat later and there doesn't appear to be the wooden fence between the ford and the road. That makes me think 19320's/30's. But! I have a picture in my mind which must have been very late 1940's/very early 50's with a raised footway past Howard Roberts with the ford on the left with a handrail, but the scene through the Greyhounds arch looks later.... hey ho, the mists of time.

Art 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:30pm
Whilst on the Greyhound what was the shop in the roadside leg of the arch. I never recall going in there but a small general store or sweet shop nags away at the memory.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:37pm
The 1935 one.. I'd go for an early morning picture across the Misbourne Valley taken from somewhere between Gravel Hill & Water Hall from the Amersham Road.... could be wrong of course.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 09 June 2017 at 8:27pm
The aerial view. Ok challenge accepted. Best guess has to be around 1931 I think. Why?

The Greyhound still has the full brick chimney therefore post 1900 ish if some of the other pictures are about correct and, the school doesn't have any air-raid shelters so probably pre 1940. The Market Place is also full built by the look of it and the 1925 O/S map I have only shows it half completed.

Aerial photography was probably post 1st World War and didn't really take hold as an enterprise 'till 1920 onwards and EDIT: the photo is virtually identical to the 1931 picture I found.....

Edit.. firther investigation..  WOW!!!! have a look at these:  http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/search?keywords=chalfont&country=global&year=all" rel="nofollow - http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/search?keywords=chalfont&country=global&year=all

Copy & paste the link if it doesn't work direct.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 09 June 2017 at 9:08pm
Hi, Art, I'm surprised you did know of this link before. Oh, and the picture is dated 1931 in your link.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 24 June 2017 at 1:54am
Re, the latest picture where you mention the bike shop. I think this is later than 1955. I'm sure the shop on the corner next to bike shop. Was still the co-op until the 60's. It looks to me as if it's shut down in the picture.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 24 June 2017 at 10:16am
I remember Mr Clements who was the manager of Stowells off-licence, they had two children, Leo and Veronica. I remember Leo and myself served one Saturday at the 8am Mass at the church (we all had to learn the Latin), and he gave me a lift back on the cross-bar of his bike - I can still recall hurtling down Gold Hill common road on the cross-bar, (no helmets in those days!), absolutely terrified! Mr Clements played the organ at St Joseph's church and he would give a generous discount for the soft drinks & crisps that we bought for the Youth Club in the portakabin at St Joseph's school.

During the '60's there George Newman had a bakery across from the Greyhound.

The Co-Op on the corner was run by Mr Allnutt and Giles Stacey as I recall - the days when the Co-Op paid a 'divi', staff were dressed in white coats and provided personal service.

Up from the Co-Op was an ice-cream parlour/milk bar.  

Date Posted: 26 June 2017 at 9:12am
Sid, i'll dig it out and check the postmark again, some I have to guess as the print isn't great.

Date Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:01am
I've found my old picture postcards book by Audrey Wheelband so will endeavour to backfill some of the postcards with more information from there.  

Date Posted: 30 June 2017 at 9:58am
The vending machine at the post office, was a Cadbury chocolates vending machine.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:05am
Was it, oh, my memory is wrong again lol

Date Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:26am
I like most kids had a taste for chocolate, one Sunday morning on my way to church. That were I was supposed to be going, probably going to the river or playing fields.
I found that I could cut half the bar away with my pen knife, by pulling the draw open a little. 2 or 3 weeks later, I had a shilling in my pocket. With out thinking about it, I put the shilling in the machine and ending up with the other half.
That's my memory of that machine.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 06 July 2017 at 8:54pm
"The Bakers Arms (Poachers / Phoenix)and Barclays Bank, no post mark to date." - Page 6

Judging by the picture on page 5 dated 1905 the one on page 6 must be 5 to 10 years earlier judging by the tree behind the church roof.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 10 July 2017 at 1:46pm
Second photo page 7,
Interesting to note, the river dried up back then. Can't really blame that on recent infrastructure developments.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 11 July 2017 at 3:56pm
Page 7 "High Street with the George and Church railings. No post marked date.". I reckon somewhere around 1920 - The 1921 Street directory shows "Johnstone" at the George but not there in the 1929 version and it was Bonsey in some of your <>1910 photos and by 1917 it was "H. Baldwin".

It wouldn't surprise me if the "Chalfont St Peter Church and Memorial, no post mark for date." wasn't taken at the same time judging from the tree in the Church grounds.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:29pm
Page 8 - Stowells with ladder - Late 50's at a guess, possibly early 60's. The car to the right of the cyclist looks like a Fiat 500 and they weren't made until 1957 according to Wikipedia.

Art 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 August 2017 at 4:11pm
Page 8  "High Street 1932" is already on Page 7 - "High Street, 1932 with the White Hart, Carpenters Arms and Parish church in view."

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 07 August 2017 at 8:14am
Thanks Art, i'll delete.  I have bought duplicates of a few of these cards (accidentally) so might happen again, especially the popular ones.

Date Posted: 12 August 2017 at 6:05pm
Page 9 Denham Lane "I'd hazard a guess the side road is Nortoft Road, but not convinced."

You should be convinced, the house with the white 'eyebrow' over the upstairs window is still there.

Art

-------------

Posted By: Sunray
Date Posted: 15 August 2017 at 2:02pm
Great picture today 15/8/17 love the old carts in the High Street, I see the roads were not good in those days, not much has changed!

-------------
Sunray

Date Posted: 23 September 2017 at 7:28am
The Italian Garden was to the left hand side of the main house. I 'think' that not much of it had survived to the 50/60's but the line of it has been preserved between the offices that have been built on the site. Also have a look at this old http://www.britishpathe.com/video/sun-daughters/query/Apache" rel="nofollow - Pathe News Clip

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 27 September 2017 at 7:41pm
Page 11 - "The Parish Church and vicarage taken from the meadows (presumably now the car park).  No post marked date."

I think just a little further away: From the allotments with the white fence being the boundary to Church Lane with the site of the school (site)  on the other side of the bushes.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 06 October 2017 at 5:58pm
View of Kings Waye from Chalfont Park golf club. 

That confused me for a bit until I realised that the obvious road is Austenway. Very interesting how wide the Misbourne was back then.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 06 October 2017 at 7:09pm
I can't see the picture?

Date Posted: 07 October 2017 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Chilternman Chilternman wrote:

I can't see the picture?

Did you look in the "Old Village Photos" thread or, is that where you can't see the photo? This thread is the discussion thread associated with the pictures.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 07 October 2017 at 9:14pm
Didn't even occur to me it was the Misbourne.

Posted By: Chuckles
Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 12:16pm
http://chalfontstpeter.com/forum/uploads/6/gold-hill-swings-1973.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://chalfontstpeter.com/forum/uploads/6/gold-hill-swings-1973.jpg

Is the building to the left where Handy Stores is now? I would have thought that the shops and attached townhouses were older than 1973...

Date Posted: 08 November 2017 at 12:38pm
[QUOTE=Chuckles] http://chalfontstpeter.com/forum/uploads/6/gold-hill-swings-1973.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://chalfontstpeter.com/forum/uploads/6/gold-hill-swings-1973.jpg

Is the building to the left where Handy Stores is now? I would have thought that the shops and attached townhouses were older than 1973...
[/QUOTE

It titled post mark 1973, the picture could be 10 years old.
It shows Ward and Medley’s store, I think that was demolished mid 70’s

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: dickybird
Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:57am
Am loving the pics - thanks again, Watsy x
Clap

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net