Forum Description: News and info on whats up in Chalfont St Peter
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8314
Printed Date: 16 April 2024 at 6:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Grange - Bunkers or Tunnels but unsafe
Posted By: Joanne
Subject: The Grange - Bunkers or Tunnels but unsafe
Date Posted: 15 July 2017 at 11:26am
My son and his friends told me about a secret bunker they'd found near where we live. Very exciting stuff for a bunch of kids!! They took me to the Holy Cross site (near the entrance to the Grange off Gold Hill) and to the left in the woods before the nun's graveyard is a dell where they have started to fell and chop the trees down. In amongst the area are a number of holes (with significant drops into the tunnels/bunkers) If you were taking a stroll you could easily not see them and fall down those holes.
A bit further to the left is an entrance with concrete steps and an old wooden door has been taken off the entrance. Whether these are old war bunkers or the start of the mythical (!) tunnels that lead down to the greyhound I've no idea.
There is also a stone area with steps built around it with a statue of Mary on it.
My point is, as exciting as it is, the drops are dangerous for inquisitive children and walkers alike and are the developers doing anything to protect this area if it's of historical interest.
I called the local police but they said it was a council issue, but I'm wondering which parts of the site are public spaces and which are not, it's not very clear.
Can anyone help?
P.S I have lots of photos but don't think I can post them to this post

Replies:
Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 15 July 2017 at 12:12pm
Hi Joanne I've sent you a private message with a contact at the parish council who might be able to help.

-------------
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 15 July 2017 at 12:24pm
Historically important, should be listed. Could / should be a big tourist attraction for the village. Still find it amazing the Grange building wasn't listed as hugely significant in local history.

Date Posted: 15 July 2017 at 12:34pm
Yes Watsy I agree.....

-------------

Date Posted: 15 July 2017 at 12:48pm
Back to the 1600's at least - couple of scans:

Chalfont Grange, Chalfont St Peter

Chalfont Grange, Chalfont St Peter

Date Posted: 15 July 2017 at 1:47pm
Thanks Emma I will call them on Monday.
How can I post photos on this post so that you can have a look?

Posted By: brewski
Date Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:08pm
Surely this is private property?

Or it used to be when the nuns owned it, used to be signs saying keep out.

Saying that, I'm intrigued and will be doing my own investigation!😉

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Date Posted: 15 July 2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Joanne Joanne wrote:

Thanks Emma I will call them on Monday.
How can I post photos on this post so that you can have a look?

I don't know! I'm rubbish, Watsy can tell you though ;)

-------------

Date Posted: 15 July 2017 at 8:00pm
I've put the pics on my twitter page, hope you can see these https://twitter.com/jr_lothian/status/886297949701013505" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/jr_lothian/status/886297949701013505
Or search JR_Lothian

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 7:51am
Could it/they be an "Ice House" for the Grange as there was a pond at the top of Gold Hill and on old maps there are tracks down to that area.

Art 

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Posted By: dickybird
Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:18am
Morning, Joanna
Intrigued - will go down there this morning to investigate. All attempts to preserve the Grange failed, miserably, and it would be great to make a find on the site that would be worth saving. I had heard rumours of secret tunnels but taken them all with a pinch of salt...

I can't access your pics. Please could you email them to me at kzdickson@btinternet.com?

Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:25am
PS:
The site is not public yet. Still a building site but the area of the dell you refer to will be open to the public in time. I will make contact with the site manager first thing Monday if the entrances/holes are dangerous - surprised they are not cordoned off already.

As for the felling of the trees, that has been another huge disappoinment. So many of them have TPO's but the tree officer at CDC says that there is not enough legislation to protect them. Last i heard, 22 were facing the chop in July.

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:28pm
A former teacher at Holy Cross (formerly The Grange) told me there were extensive cellars beneath the now demolished school and that these dated from Tudor times, having been there since the first Grange was built, if not before. She was always surprised those cellars were not listed, as some of the doors were magnificent, oak studded with nails, etc. Perhaps this is what the 'tunnels' are?

Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:22pm
Hope you don't mind Joanne, but I've copied your photos and posting below.  Great work. Clap
Chalfont Grange Tunnels

Chalfont Grange Tunnels

Chalfont Grange Tunnels

Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:23pm
Chalfont Grange Tunnels

Chalfont Grange Tunnels

Chalfont Grange Tunnels

Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:24pm
Chalfont Grange Tunnels

Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:24pm
Chalfont Grange Tunnels

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:43pm
Wow, a grotto! Puts me in mind of that old song:-

'Nobody loves a fairy when she's forty. Nobody loves a fairy when she's old. You stand there shouting 'what ho?', but they pass right by your grotto ...'!

Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 5:08pm
It is quite a find your son and his friend made, Joanna!  Agree with you that the openings are dangerous - will contact the site manager first thing tomorrow to mark them off somehow. They are bound to tempt someone to go in to explore and that will be risky.
Will also ask him what the long term plan is for that part of the site. It is alongside the new McCarthy Retirement Home development, as best as I can make out, but I am fairly confident that it will remain a green space that is not going to be build on. 

Don't think they are anything as exciting as Tudor Tunnels, Bucks Fizz - they look more like a bomb shelter, albeit a pretty big shelter. Have spoken with an ex-student who remembers being told about them as a schoolgirl (although never saw inside). 

Was good to explore this morning:  lovely to see the huge trees, the pretty, shaded dell and the Virgin Mary statuette but sad to see the unnecessary neglect the site has suffered and the old trees marked with blue crosses, presumably marked for felling.

Wish the site could have been developed more sympathetically Unhappy

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:25pm
I'm I correct in saying that this has been mentioned in the past on this forum? I've definitely seen a picture similar to the above before.

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:41am
So glad you've managed to see down there yourself and managed to share this pics for all to see. I think we should contact the local paper too!
But you can see how it's not very clear that it's not a public space either hence why children have been exploring!

Date Posted: 17 July 2017 at 10:16am
Went to have a peak yesterday, couldn't find the caves, just the Mary statue, which I'm surprised is still in one piece and not been vandalised.
Quite surreal, I agree it is a very important part of the village's history and culture and needs to be retained for future generations.

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Date Posted: 17 July 2017 at 1:56pm
Statue photos courtesy of Brewski:

Chalfont Grange Statue

Chalfont Grange Statue

Posted By: ian
Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 6:53pm
The statue has been vandalised and is no more Unhappy

I took photos - not sure this link will work  https://photos.app.goo.gl/a9KXdYTMBMmQBVLP2" rel="nofollow - https://photos.app.goo.gl/a9KXdYTMBMmQBVLP2

Date Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:01pm
Disgusting, sadly it was just a matter of time.

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Posted By: Newbie08
Date Posted: 23 September 2017 at 5:32pm
There are often children playing in that area and it's such a shame that something the developers actually preserved was destroyed by local children

Date Posted: 23 September 2017 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Newbie08 Newbie08 wrote:

There are often children playing in that area and it's such a shame that something the developers actually preserved was destroyed by local children

Queries, Did I miss something? Who said it children?

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 23 September 2017 at 7:29pm
Surely the shoddy building contractors should of arranged security around the site, as far as I know there isn't any.

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Date Posted: 23 September 2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by brewski brewski wrote:

Surely the shoddy building contractors should of arranged security around the site, as far as I know there isn't any.

Was it necessary, in all the years it was there? Before construction began.
Maybe it was nothing to do with children or construction, it was to do with publicity.

I personally knew it was there, when I was kid finding my way around.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 24 September 2017 at 8:20am
Just an assumption from observations most evenings and weekends seeing boys play there. I think it's a shame that the tunnels have had to be filled in in such a way too.

Also the builders aren't shoddy - my new home is great! The plans on site have all been built to specifications agreed during planning permission stage .... it is not the developers 'fault' that some things haven't been preserved as well as you may have wanted them to have been. It would have been agreed when the land was sold.

The statue and little copse area was preserved, the graveyard preserved. And the chapel/church building. Not sure what else could have been as I obviously didn't know it any other way. But it's sad to see the developers get the stick for it when I have a great new home in a lovely, mostly friendly, village!

Date Posted: 24 September 2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Newbie08 Newbie08 wrote:

Just an assumption from observations most evenings and weekends seeing boys play there. I think it's a shame that the tunnels have had to be filled in in such a way too.

Also the builders aren't shoddy - my new home is great! The plans on site have all been built to specifications agreed during planning permission stage .... it is not the developers 'fault' that some things haven't been preserved as well as you may have wanted them to have been. It would have been agreed when the land was sold.

The statue and little copse area was preserved, the graveyard preserved. And the chapel/church building. Not sure what else could have been as I obviously didn't know it any other way. But it's sad to see the developers get the stick for it when I have a great new home in a lovely, mostly friendly, village!

Good luck with your new home, personally I wouldn't of purchased one after the developer's aggressive approach and constructed by mainly Eastern European workers drinking cheap strong lager every morning & afternoon in Hampden Road!

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Posted By: ian
Date Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:01am
What is the relevance of the construction workers' nationalities?

Date Posted: 25 September 2017 at 10:27am
Hi Newbie08, I'm so pleased you love your house, a friend of a friend has moved up there too and I went to have a look about, I thought it was very pleasant and it's prime location right in the heart of the village too! Welcome and I hope you'll be very happy here indeed.

-------------

Posted By: lesleyr
Date Posted: 25 September 2017 at 6:46pm
There were few if any local construction workers used on this site. They were recruited abroad by an agency direct. I am sure they have done a good job. But the developers promised local jobs and I know that none were used.

Date Posted: 29 September 2017 at 2:58pm
Ah! Maybe that's why my light switches are wonky

Posted By: Rod
Date Posted: 29 September 2017 at 8:44pm
What is the relevance of the fact that they were drinking "cheap strong lager every morning and afternoon in Hampden Road"?
The guys probably put in a hard day's graft which is the reason why they got the jobs rather than other wasters who feel they are owed something. If they want a beer together then fair play.
I actually have a strong preference for Eastern Europeans when I have requirements to be met.

Posted By: LilyRose
Date Posted: 30 September 2017 at 8:50am
Rod, you don't see a problem with people drinking alcohol whilst working on a building site? They're a danger to themselves and others.

Posted By: MV Owner
Date Posted: 30 September 2017 at 8:51am
Sometimes I drink a couple of stellas whilst up a ladder  juggling plates and doing the fandango.

Posted By: Rod
Date Posted: 30 September 2017 at 10:57am
I am sure that whoever is in charge of the building site on a daily basis does not allow drunk workers staggering about on site doing a poor job and endangering themselves and others...thats all I was saying...merely an attempt at defending them against the xenophobic stereo typing of the earlier post of someone who has probably not left Chalfont St Peter in their life. I have had some wonderful experiences with East Europeans.

Posted By: MV Owner
Date Posted: 30 September 2017 at 11:03am
Were there any East Europeans above The George Rod?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net