Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Grange - Bunkers or Tunnels but unsafe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:24pm
Chalfont Grange Tunnels
Sponsored Links

Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:43pm
Wow, a grotto! Puts me in mind of that old song:-

'Nobody loves a fairy when she's forty. Nobody loves a fairy when she's old. You stand there shouting 'what ho?', but they pass right by your grotto ...'!
dickybird View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 5:08pm
It is quite a find your son and his friend made, Joanna!  Agree with you that the openings are dangerous - will contact the site manager first thing tomorrow to mark them off somehow. They are bound to tempt someone to go in to explore and that will be risky.
Will also ask him what the long term plan is for that part of the site. It is alongside the new McCarthy Retirement Home development, as best as I can make out, but I am fairly confident that it will remain a green space that is not going to be build on. 

Don't think they are anything as exciting as Tudor Tunnels, Bucks Fizz - they look more like a bomb shelter, albeit a pretty big shelter. Have spoken with an ex-student who remembers being told about them as a schoolgirl (although never saw inside). 

Was good to explore this morning:  lovely to see the huge trees, the pretty, shaded dell and the Virgin Mary statuette but sad to see the unnecessary neglect the site has suffered and the old trees marked with blue crosses, presumably marked for felling.

Wish the site could have been developed more sympathetically Unhappy

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:25pm
I'm I correct in saying that this has been mentioned in the past on this forum? I've definitely seen a picture similar to the above before.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Joanne View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:41am
So glad you've managed to see down there yourself and managed to share this pics for all to see. I think we should contact the local paper too!
But you can see how it's not very clear that it's not a public space either hence why children have been exploring!
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 10:16am
Went to have a peak yesterday, couldn't find the caves, just the Mary statue, which I'm surprised is still in one piece and not been vandalised.
Quite surreal, I agree it is a very important part of the village's history and culture and needs to be retained for future generations.
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 1:56pm
Statue photos courtesy of Brewski:

Chalfont Grange Statue

Chalfont Grange Statue
ian View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 6:53pm
The statue has been vandalised and is no more Unhappy

I took photos - not sure this link will work https://photos.app.goo.gl/a9KXdYTMBMmQBVLP2
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:01pm
Disgusting, sadly it was just a matter of time.
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
Newbie08 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2017 at 5:32pm
There are often children playing in that area and it's such a shame that something the developers actually preserved was destroyed by local children
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>